Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 044

Click for full size

And with that, we finally seem to be back in the present day. The flashbacks were kind of crazy fun...plus the lettering felt easier (I'm not sure why). But I'm glad that we can finally get back to, y'know, seeing how Peach and company react to this infodump and what else Claudius has in store for them...but that's a story for another week. For now, on to our traditional spoiler-filled comic reviews...
  • Batgirl #6
    • "Mr. Wayne? Bruce? Please don't cave my head in with that thing." Could there BE better words to start an issue with?
    • Y'know, there's something just inherently wrong with Bruce Wayne of all people threatening someone with a crowbar…
    • "Let's back you away from the mean old crowbar, okay, sir?" Seriously, is it too early to just hand Gail Simone all the money she wants for her writing? Oh
    • Ardian Syaf is the first artist I've seen draw the Batcave (that I can recall) and I'm eternally grateful to know that the huge animatronic T-Rex still resides there (now if only I could get confirmation on the giant penny…).
    • I'm concerned that the tease for next month's issue is "THE JOKE REVISITED!"
  • Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #6
    • I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but there's something wonderfully '90s about the art in this book…something about the inking on it.
    • Umm…pardon me for having not seen the movie ever, but this issue seems to be Apocalypse Now with superpowers. Now I'm imagining Marlon Brando with superpowers. Great.
    • And the Apocalypse Now tangent was just an excuse to have Frankenstein off-base while it got taken over by evil fake human things. Guys, I saw this when Doctor Who did it and…well, it bugged me then. Granted, Frankenstein's a better protagonist than Matt Smith's Doctor, but I'm going to try to keep my expectations low for this…
  • Bionic Man #6
    • In the midst of a knock-down drag-out fight, Steve says "this was not in the training montage." I like it; it's refreshingly meta…
    • This was a great action issue…might not be the best place to start reading, but it's a great ride.
  • Kirby: Genesis - Silver Star #3
    • Silver Star goes on an astral plane acid trip in North Korea for a little while. Also, a catgirl shows up. Yeah. You should probably read this.
  • Thief of Thieves #1
    • "This is Viggo, the head of my personal security. He will be hitting you now." You have to appreciate a lady who's not afraid to be polite with the man who just stole from her…
    • I like that different scenes get a cutesy little title like "BACK HOME…WHY REDMOND NEEDS AN ASSISTANT" or "THE UNEXPECTED MEETING OR, AN UNCOMFORTABLE MOMENT." It makes the comic read a bit like a TV show…in fact, the whole issue reads like a television pilot, to the point where I wonder if there's a bigger behind-the-scenes story there...
Well, guys, that wraps things up for this week. We'll see you back here next week, same Peach time, same Peach channel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment