Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 026 (Plus Comic Reviews!)



Click for full size


Good morning, destroyer fans! Sorry, this week's one of those pesky "setup" comics I do sometimes. Trust me, stuff will be getting crazy fast.

This week I've got my make-up comic reviews from last week, followed by this week's reviews! CRAZY! Because of such a deluge of reviews, I'll try to keep it to a few points per comic, for your sake as well as mine...

  • Bionic Man # 1 & 2 (August 24 & September 21)
  • This book feels like a little bit of a slow burn (2 issues in and our man's not even bionic yet), but it feels very well-paced (which can only be a compliment, considering it's based on an unproduced screenplay).
  • That being said, there are some rewrites that were done, evidenced both by Phil Hester writing credit (note: I'm a Phil Hester fan, so be prepared for some blatant gushing when I have time) & the amped-up violence that I'm guessing wouldn't have flown for a studio that was probably looking for a PG/PG-13 Six Million Dollar Man movie.
  • Birds of Prey #1 (September 21)
  • I'm growing suspicious of the fact that Barbara Gordon never namedrops Oracle. She only pops in for a cameo in this issue, but I'm just saying…
  • This book felt a little…manic, but it's still got some solid potential. Plus, hey, Black Canary. As a Green Arrow fan, I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable return to the Arrow/Canary romance...
  • Super Dinosaur #1: Origin Special! (May 18)
  • Seriously, this makes me miss Saturday morning cartoons. It's Robert Kirkman, why can't he leverage his success with The Walking Dead to get this made into a cartoon?!
  • Supergirl #1 (September 21)
  • This was kind of a "spectacle" book, but I have no complaints about it. First off, it's a re-telling of Supergirl's origin. It's fun. People get beat up, Supergirl's at least as confused as the reader is, and oh yeah, she mentions how she hasn't graduated yet, so try to keep your eyes above her waist. Ju-u-ust saying…
  • Is it too much to ask that a future issue explains that '90s looking S-shield Kara's sporting? I know, Krypton, but…ugh.
  • Wonder Woman #1
  • I seriously had to check a few times to make sure I hadn't somehow inexplicably picked up issue #2.
  • This could easily be a solid setup for a good story, but it felt a little…backwards. First we get a ton of crazy action, then a lot of the plot setup happened at the end of the issue.
And now, on to the new comics from this week!
  • Aquaman #1 (September 28)
  • Some idiot decides to debate the existence of Atlantis with Aquaman. That…that's like debating the moon landing with Buzz Aldrin (note: Aquaman doesn't punch the guy, but that was my kneejerk reaction to the scene).
  • I think this may have been my favorite book this week. This is going to be the book that makes a lot of people Aquaman fans.
  • Fury of Firestorm #1 (September 28)
  • I grabbed this on a lark because…it's Firestorm. People joke about Aquaman, but at least he has some market penetration and people know who he is. No one cares enough about Firestorm to make fun of him!
  • I was surprised by this book…I'm hoping it becomes the Firestorm equivalent to James Robinson's Starman run. Plus, how many comics do you see that namedrop CERN?
  • Justice League Dark (September 28)
  • First off, I'm not positive, but I might have the font they used on the "DARK" for the title. Guys, I advise a better graphic designer for these things…
  • Okay, so I was on the fence with Cyborg being a part of the Justice League. He shows up with Superman and Wonder Woman and, in two pages, goes a LONG way towards making me like him. He's like Spider-Man with the Avengers: an everyman to help the reader see the situation.
  • Good introduction to the characters/status quo of the…well, dark side of the DCnU. Unlike with the regular Justice League, we got to drop in on all the major players in one issue.
  • The Savage Hawkman #1 (September 28)
  • Hawkman had enough continuity issues before the DC reboot. There. I said it. With that out of the way, this issue acknowledges them and moves right along.
  • Of all the things we could have named a ship in this comic, we had to go with "The Shining Knight Research Vessel?" Really? Really? (Note: any excuse to link to that scene. Any. Excuse.)
  • I still have no idea what kind of weapon Hawkman's supposed to be wielding in this comic (seriously, axe? Mace? Ace? Maxe?).
  • Superman #1 (September 28)
  • …Morgan Edge is black now. Just putting that out there. Considering who we cast for the upcoming Man of Steel movie, I'm surprised we didn't make Perry White black.
  • Good story, felt very "Superman." I wasn't exactly fond of the monkey wrench twist ending of "ZOMG, LOIS IS DATING SOME DUDE WHO ISN'T CLARK!!!", but I'm sure that will be fixed in time.
  • Teen Titans #1 (September 28)
  • Okay, so here's the one I've been looking forward to ever since Superboy #1 surprised me. First thing's first: you really should read this before Superboy #1. Chronologically it just makes more sense and I wish DC had thought of that...
  • Much like Justice League #1, we don't meet the whole team, instead focusing on Red Robin, Wonder Girl, and a little bit of set-up for our nefarious organization of bad guys.
  • Might be a bit of a slow burn, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe not as much as I was with Superboy, but believe it or not, they're both actually worth checking out.
Well, that's (finally) it for this week, everyone. I'll see you next week with more action, more adventure, and more comics! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment