Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 028

Click for full size


OHAI, my happy happy destroyer fans! Not much to say about this week's comic, so if nobody minds, I'm just going to dive straight into our weekly comic book reviews…

CAUTION! HERE THERE BE SPOILERS!

  • Batgirl #2 (released 10/12)

Okay, I know there was a lot of backlash on the Internets about the ending of issue #1. That being said, I think issue #2 built off that ending really well and delivered another solid, grounded adventure. My only nit to pick is…now that we have The Mirror's sad, sad backstory out of the way, I kinda just want to have him punched in the face so we can move on. I don't know why…maybe it's just because I got a glimpse behind the curtain so now there's no mystery. After I finished reading, I thought to myself y'know…we probably won't see The Mirror up to something in x number of months/years. That's my problem…he feels a little bit like a "one-story" villain. Granted, I could be way off. His backstory could just be another mind game or he could easily be working for a new, bigger threat. But hey, I still enjoyed the issue, plus Barbara Gordon got to show off her detective skills (oh, and we get a little glimpse of her roommate as a no-nonsense character…I can't wait to see her get fleshed out some more).
  • Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #1 & 2 (issue 1 second printing released 10/12, issue 2 released 10/12)

I'm a Hellboy fan. This book is Hellboy meets the DC Universe. In hindsight, I should have picked this book up a lot sooner. I love all the little namedrops we get to the DC Universe. Who's S.H.A.D.E.'s science liaison? Why Ray Palmer, of course. Where did the vampire bat-like character gain his powers? An augmented version of the Langstrom serum. Duh! I like books that show the little connections in the DC Universe…it goes a long way to making everything feel like it takes place in a real world (on a related note, next month seems to be guest-star week in DC Comics, with Black Canary dropping by Green Arrow and Nightwing popping up in Batgirl).
  • Green Arrow #2 (released 10/5)

Last week my comic shop got shorted two books: Hawk & Dove (which…who cares? It's Hawk & Dove, for cryin' out loud!), and Green Arrow. Yeah, guess which one I was torn up about.Anyway, this issue continues the "viral video villains" plot (oh god, can you imagine the pitch meeting for that?) from last issue. I know some people hated it, but I certainly don't mind. It's hard for me to really do a "review" of this book as I'm obviously not going to be looking at it objectively, although I seriously have to question whoever made the decision to turn Oliver Queen (pre-reboot) into a freaking clone of Connor Hawke (pre-reboot, compare to Ollie post-reboot [bottom right]). But hey, aside from my little bout of nerd rage, I thought this was an enjoyable issue, with a good bit of world-building and a smidge of setup for future issues.
  • Superboy #2 (released 10/12)

Okay, this issue kind of felt like a summer blockbuster. Basically Superboy and Deathstroke's daughter fight the heck out of giant shark-man aliens. There's not a whole lot more to it (well, other than some flashbacks to the aftermath of Superboy's telekinetic freak-out in issue 1), but there's some very solid action, we get a nice showcase of a lot of Superboy's powers, and we even subvert the tried-and-true "henchmen take a turn pounding on the hero" cliché. Overall, I think this book is still a good mile above where everyone expected it to be back when we only had the initial solicit to go by.

0 comments:

Post a Comment