Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 038

Click for full size

Hey hey hey. After a good night's rest, I'm feeling much better. Now on with the comic reviews!

Warning: spoilers

Marvel Holiday Special
  • Okay, I'm a few weeks late on this one…but hey, it's the thought that counts!
  • The four short stories were cute 'n all, but…honestly, there's not too much for me to say. I think the stories got better as they went along, culminating in a very special story catching up with The Thing on Christmas day.

Teen Titans #4
  • This book continues to defy expectations with a good, old-fashioned superhero slugfest between Wonder Girl and Superboy.
  • Miguel continues to be awesome in every scene he's in, easily stealing the "comic relief" role from Kid Flash (on a side note, I'd love to see a scene with those two bantering…it would probably fill an entire issue).
  • The issue ends on our first big, epic team splash page and, I gotta say, they really earned this one. This book simply amazed me at its continued awesomeness and I can't wait until next month's issue.
  • All that praise being said…I was not too wild about how Superboy looked in this issue. On Superboy, he seems to be more of a toned, lean figure, but in Teen Titans his shoulders got broadened out and he looks just a smidge more like a brawler. Also, for the life of me I cannot figure out why Wonder Girl spends the first few pages cosplaying as Dazzler.

The Fury of Firestorm #4
  • I keep enjoying this book and I still think it's a diamond in the rough, but after this week's stellar issue of Teen Titans, all I could think about was how cool a Firestorm/Teen Titans crossover would be…

Justice League Dark #4
  • Know what? I give this book a lot of flack, but I'm going to assume the "Constantine eating cold baked beans" is a Watchmen reference and give them a few free points.
  • On the other hand…this book continues to have the etherial quality of having a friend tell you about a dream they can't quite make sense of. Which, considering the magic subject matter, isn't all bad. I think I'm still waiting for the team to come together and earn that "Justice League" title on the cover.

The Savage Hawkman #4
  • Well, this issue brought the Morphicus arc to a…rather abrupt close. There's not much more to say other than "yup. That happened." Also, the James Bond villain I kept complaining about? I think he's taken care of, too, which surprises me, since I thought we were setting him up to be Hawkman's Lex Luthor.
  • We get a cliffhanger tease of next month's issue with Carter apparently seeing dead people or...seeing normal people who look like zombies or something. All I have to say is…if anyone deserves to have some sort of death-related power, it's Mr. "I've-died-more-times-than-any-of-you."

Superman #4
  • The cover: eww. I hate bugs and it looks like Supes shares the feeling.
  • This issue was…weird, and at least it's building to a conclusion (maybe?) next month.
  • Overall, this issue felt reminiscent of John Arcudi's run on Superman in DC's Wednesday Comics.

Kirby: Genesis - Captain Victory #2
  • It might sound a bit boring, but this month's issue was a really interesting character piece on the weight of command. Might not be for everyone, but I dug it (of course, I'm also a self-proclaimed Kirby: Genesis fanboy).

Aquaman #4
  • Aquaman goes and pulls a Doctor Who by proclaiming "I'm sorry" and then genociding the heck out of The Trench (and I'm sure we'll ne-e-ever hear from them again)
  • Also, Aquaman can fly now? I assume it's a super-leap justified by his physiology allowing him to survive in the ocean depths but…it's a one-panel thing that happens WITH ABSOLUTELY NO EXPLANATION, hence my question mark up there.
  • D'aww, Aquaman got a pet dog…isn't that adorable? Also, I want him to have regularly-occuring team-ups with Ace the Bat-Hound in…one of the four books Batman has nowadays (assuming Ace is still canon…if not, re-introduce Ace).
Well, that's all for this week, everybody. Have a happy and safe new year's and I'll see all of you in 2012!

0 comments:

Post a Comment