Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 033

Click for full size

Good morning, Destroyers!




It's been a while since Mittens did something dumb. I kinda missed that about him.
That's all I have to say about this week's comics. Onto comic books (warning: spoilers).

By the way, I decided to try ranking each book this week. It might stick, it might not. I'm not sure.

The Bionic Man #4 (10/10)
  • Hands down, best book of the week.
  • All three of my previous reviews whined about how Steve wasn't bionic yet…this issue was where Kevin Smith and Phil Hester threw up their hands and said "you want bionic? You'll friggin' get bionic!" This issue has Max the bionic dog (from the 3-season spin-off The Bionic Woman) in a cameo, the freaking "we can rebuild him" voiceover (modified to remind us that there's still an overarching plot we need to worry about), and they even worked in the "nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh" sound effect! It's a comic book and they still bothered to put it in there! Comic of the year material right there. Oh, and yes, he wears the red track suit. After this much gushing, are you surprised?
  • If you were on the fence about this book before…just try this issue. If you like it, hey, it's only three back issues to pick up.
  • No, seriously, you should be reading this.

Justice League #3 (9/10)
  • Young, brash Diana/Wonder Woman is a real joy to read. She looks like she's giving 100% in everything she's doing, from praising ice cream to slaughtering Parademons.
  • We FINALLY get to see the birth of Cyborg and it's exactly as painful as you'd expect such an origin to be (with the added punch of Apokoliptic visions and a tease of Darkseid).
  • This felt like a fantastic slice out of an action movie (I can imagine panels of this issue being used to pitch a new Justice League movie to WB, for example), and I am loving the slow formation of the team…but I am starting to see where people are coming from about it being a fast read and not feeling like it's worth the $3.99 price tag. However, it doesn't bother me and I still get a kick out of it.

Supergirl #3 (9/10)
  • So…it wasn't Lex Luthor we saw at the end of the last issue. It was a new guy who I will lovingly refer to as either Kara's Lex Luthor (I'm assuming he'll be a mainstay) or Snooty McBritish (you can tell he's British because at one point he goes off on a hissy fit that's basically "stupid Americans with your cheeseburgers and your 'French fries…'"). He's fun. I like him as a villain.
  • Not too much to say…this is a fun ride, though, so you should be checking it out if you're a fan of the Super family.

Kirby: Genesis!: Captain Victory #1 (9/10)
  • Another awesome addition to the Kirby: Genesis family of books (this one seems to be an Orion analogue, for you playing along at home).
  • There are a lot of great visual touches in this book, from the freaking lion-dude from the cover to the "shadow"-possessed civilians (who reminded me a little bit of the water zombies from Doctor Who: Waters of Mars).
  • I thought this would be a light, rollicking space adventure, but nope, turns out this book will basically be asking how long someone can fight darkness before becoming it, which officially makes it better than Star Wars: The Clone Wars (sorry, but that entire cartoon is just propaganda for the dark side. You know it in your heart to be true).

Wonder Woman #3 (8/10)
  • Picking up on last month, this issue shows us the aftermath of what I'm just going to call "The Battle of Paradise Island" for now.
  • Okay…it's real hard for me to talk about anything other than…the biggest plot point in this comic, so skip down if you're a spoilerphobe, but I'm still on the fence about Diana's new origin. Turns out she wasn't made of clay and Zeus didn't even strike the clay with a thunderbolt to gift her with life. Nope, Hippolyta (Diana's mom) and Zeus had a thing back in the day and Zeus became a baby daddy. While I like that we've got this whole new conspiracy/"I was trying to protect you" thing, I think such a sudden change is kinda bugging me. We'll see where it leads…
  • Ending the issue on a positive note, Diana leaves Paradise Island in a self-proclaimed exile, which works better than "mommy's angry at me" or whatever the old reason was
  • A quick note on the artwork: I love that all the Amazons (Diana and Hippolyta included) have broad shoulders and actually look like Amazons capable of beating anyone in a fight. Still don't understand why Wonder Woman wears heels, though…

Birds of Prey #3 (7/10)
  • So…yeah. Turns out Poison Ivy can actually work on a team book. Who knew?
  • I don't really have a whole lot to say about this book. It was still good, but I think I'm starting to worry that this story arc might run on too long. When Green Arrow #3 came out earlier this month, I thought it was a sign that DC was wrapping up their first arcs and would be pushing towards new ones, but clearly I was way off.
  • Stick with this book if you've been reading it so far. It might just be my initial impression on this issue (wow that's some alliteration there) is way off-base.

House of Night #1 (6/10)
  • This was…solid. Not what I was expecting from a vampire--err, excuse me, vampyre book…lots of supernatural high school hijinks.
  • That being said, it turns out this is a tie-in to a novel series, which, while I thought it stood on its own well enough, does explain the apparent lack of a first act.
  • Conversely…it's $1. Try it if you're interested.

That's all for this week, kids. If you don't hear from me next week, it's because Minecraft leaves beta and the 1.0 release is Friday, so expect that to eat up a ton of my time (sorry in advance).

0 comments:

Post a Comment