Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Peach the Destroyer: Issue 036

Click for full size

Good morning, my adoring Destroyers!

Not much I can add to this week's issue…other than, wow, what a cliffhanger, eh? What kind of trouble has Bobby led our little band of heroes into now? Tune in next week to find out!
Oh, also, I'd just like to point out that Peach's line in today's comic isn't my usual "let's point out the writer/artist's plot holes/flaws in a meta fashion." Oh no. This is legitimate plot development here, trust me.

Anyway, before I reveal too much of my hand, on to this week's comic book reviews!

[Standard disclaimer: possible spoilers. You've been warned]
Justice League International #4
  • My comic book shop had this one on backorder last week, so I didn't get a chance to review it then.
  • The JLI team, continuing their plucky trial-by-fire inaugural arc, gets captured by Peraxxus, the villain I've been lovingly referring to as "DC Galactus." Fortunately (for me, anyway), he changed hats to something a little less "I stole this from the devourer of worlds" (I'm sorry, I may be mis-remembering, but I swear in the splash page we first saw him on, he straight-up stole Galactus' hat).
  • Also, Guy Gardner…kind of re-joins the team? In the sense that he's now in the same place as the JLI. By the way, it's a minor thing, but surprisingly, I find it harder to take Guy seriously without the stupid bowl cut.
  • Oh, by the way, Peraxxus fires up his stolen doomsday robots to 'splode the Earth so he can pillage resources…so it's a little like Die Hard in space.
Batgirl #4
  • I loved the opening of this issue. Barbara has a "survivor's guilt" dream. This would be interesting enough, but throwing in The Mirror as a looming specter in the dream was downright creepy. Getting to see the inner workings of Barbara's head like this is what really intrigues me about this book and is going to keep me coming back month after month.
  • Another great aspect of this issue, and Gail Simone's writing on this title overall, is seeing Barbara tackle a problem as a detective. Barbara's inner monologue is a joy to read in this issue as she plots how she'll take The Mirror down.
  • My only--only--problem with this issue is that, as near as I can tell, this is it for the Mirror. I know I've complained about his plot dragging, but I kind of thought we had further to go. Was he the person coming up with the list? If not, who was supplying him with information? How deep could such a conspiracy go? I also had a problem that Barbara conveniently mentioned her mother walking out in the same issue she returned in, but I can let a minor nitpick slide in an issue this strong.
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #4
  • First thing's first: this cover art is beautiful. Keep the old-Hollywood style covers on this book, DC, and I'll be a fan for life.
  • While I enjoy the book in a "monsters vs monsters slugfest" kind of way (and don't get me wrong, the creature design is disgustingly amazing), I have a real problem connecting with the characters as opposed to the top-notch interplay in, say, Justice League International. Maybe time will help these characters grow on me, who knows.
  • Our resident vampire and werewolf (see? I have a real problem with names in this comic) take a jab at Marvel with this dialogue during their last-ditch Hail Mary of a plan: "I feel like we should have a nickname for this…like it's our patented move…the 'furball special' or something like that…" For all my complaints, stuff like that will make me love this book just a little bit more.
Superboy #4
  • Superboy's granted freedom by a new guy at N.O.W.H.E.R.E. and heads to New York, where he pouts, throws a hissy fit at carolers, and burns down a Christmas tree. I want him to team up with Damian "Robin" Wayne. I think it'd be fun.
  • Superboy also runs into a superpowered Bonnie and Clyde couple and does the right thing and puts a stop to them…and then promptly calls N.O.W.H.E.R.E. and says he'll gladly be their lapdog. Now…does this sound like it was staged to anyone else or is it just me? Read the issue and come back for discussion. I'll wait.
The Ray #1 of 4
  • Oh man was this one good. Seriously. Pick it up, you will not be disappointed. From page 1 straight to the end, this is everything that is good about DC comics distilled into one issue. Just try to read this one without cracking a smile.
Snarked #3
  • Is there anything left to be said about this book? Go. Buy it. Right now. Much like with The Ray, you'll be pleased.
Well, that's all for this week, kids. I'll see you next Thursday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment